If you’ve got mold in Billings or in Montana, you’ve got a problem. There are more than 100,000 unique types of molds in the Fungal Kingdom with only a couple of dozen most prevalent in our area. Closely related to mushrooms and yeasts, some molds can be beneficial.
However, the human experience with mold usually results in a negative reaction. This is because all molds are allergenic. Some mold also produces toxins or poisons and a few are even opportunistic (infectious).
There are a multitude of conditions that contribute to mold growth. The key to mold control is moisture control. It is important to dry water damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. If mold is a problem in your home, get rid of excess water or moisture and then clean up the mold. EPA.Your primary mission is to eliminate all sources of unintended moisture in your property. Here are some of the more common causes of mold…all related to water intrusion.
Broken or no gutters and downspouts. Other negative drainage into the structure including window wells and cracked concrete basement walls
Leaky roof or flashing, high indoor humidity or use of humidifiers
Any interior plumbing supply or drain leak, especially slow leaks that keep wood and other organic materials wet
Condensation in bathrooms, on walls, on cold pipes or the inside of windows in the winter can be enough moisture for mold to thrive
Showers and dryers vented into the crawl space or attic can create big problems. Be sure they are both vented to the outdoors.
Improperly restored (DIY) water damage…especially if the area gets wet again. The carpets may be dry but the base, gypsum wall board and framing could still be sopping wet!
Have you had recent water damage? Call us to check for mold that may be lurking in your home!